Botanical Name: Platycadi Cacumen
Category: Stop Bleeding
Taste: Astringent, Bitter
Temperature: Slightly Cold
Channels Entered: Lung, Large Intestine, Liver
- Cools heat
- Inhibits bleeding due to blood heat
- Stops cough
- Promotes the healing of burns
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Must be combined with appropriate herbs for bleeding with xu.
Actions & Indications:
- Cools the blood and stops bleeding: widely used for various bleeding disorders including vomiting blood, bleeding gums, coughing of blood, blood in the stool or urine, bloody dysenteric disorder, and uterine bleeding. Owing to its slightly cold nature, this herb is effectively used in treating patterns of hot blood, but itmay also be used with warming herbs for bleeding associated with cold patterns.
- Stops cough and expels phlegm: for LU heat patterns with cough and accumulation of phlegm. Especially important in cases of viscous, D2E sputum streaked with blood.
- Promotes healing of burns: used topically in powdered form for the early stages of burns over a small to moderate surface area. Also used for hair loss.