Botanical Name: Halloysitum rubrum
Category: Stabilize & Bind
Taste: Sweet, Sour, Astringent
Channels Entered: Spleen, Stomach, Large Intestine
Key Characteristics: Binds to stop chronic diarrhea and uterine bleeding, generates flesh to assist healing of chronic sores, gently augments the Stomach qi.
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Use with caution during pregnancy.
- Contraindicated for hot diarrhea or in the early stages of dystenteric disorders, and for accumulation of damp-heat.
Actions & Indications:
- Binds up the Intestines and stops diarrhea: for chronic diarrhea due to cold from deficiency, or chronic dysenteric disorders with mucus and blood in the stool. Usually the diarrhea is chronic and is often accompanied by undigested food in the stool.
- Contains the blood and stops bleeding: for uterine bleeding, excessive menstruation, blood in the stool, and bleeding prolapsed rectum due to cold from deficiency of the lower burner. Also used topically for bleeding due to trauma.
- Promotes healing of wounds: used in ground form and applied topically for chronic non-healing ulcers. Also used topically for wheeping damp sores as well as prolapsed rectum.