Channels Entered: Lung, Stomach
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Contraindicated in those with profuse sweating due to exterior deficiency.
Actions & Indications:
- Releases the exterior and induces sweating: for externally contracted wind-cold, especially in the very early stages.
- Disperses cold and unblocks the yang: for either abdominal pain and distention or nasal congestion due to blockage of yang qi by cold.
- Resolves toxicity and disperses clumps: for sores and abscesses. For this purpose, the herb is applied externally as a poultice.
- Cong Bai is often used at the very onset of colds and flus, and can be used before it becomes clear whether the invasion is warm or cold in nature. For this purpose, it can be eaten in a miso soup with Dan Dou Chi.