Botanical Name: Haematitum
Category: Extinguish Wind and Stop TremorsTaste: Bitter Temperature: Cold Channels Entered: Heart, Liver, Pericardium
Dosage: 9-30g in decoctions (crushed); 1-3g in pills and powders.
- Relies on its heaviness to suppress and direct downward rebellious qi
- Cools Liver fire
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Use with cautions during pregnancy.
- Do no take long term.
Actions & Indications:
- Sedates and anchors the Liver yang and clears Liver fire: for ascendant Liver yang with such signs as dizziness, vertigo, headache, sensation of pressure around the eyes, or tinnitus.
- Strongly directs rebellious qi downward: for such symptoms as belching, vomiting, hiccough, and acute wheezing.
- Cools the blood and stops bleeding: for vomiting of blood and nosebleeds. While primarily used for bleeding due to hot blood, it can be used for bleeding due to cold from deficiency when combined with other appropriate herbs. Can be used by itself for this purpose.