Botanical Name: Testudinis Plastrum
Category: Tonify the Yin
Taste: Salty, Sweet
Channels Entered: Heart, Kidney, Liver
Key Characteristics: Strongly tonifies the Liver and Kidney yin, subdues the yang, strengthens the bones, and unblocks the Conception vessel.
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Contraindicated during pregnancy or in those with cold-dampness of the Stomach.
Actions & Indications:
- Nourishes the yin and anchors the yang: for yin deficiency with ascendant yang with such symptoms as fever, night-sweats, dizziness, tinnitus, and steaming bone disorder. Also for yin deficiency of the Liver and Kidneys that generates internal wind symptoms such as facial spasms and tremors of the hands and feet.
- Benefits the Kidneys and strengthens the bones: for Kidney yin deficiency with such symptoms as soreness of the lower back, weakness in the legs, retarded skeletal development in children, or failure of the fontanel to close.
- Nourishes the blood, enriches the yin, and stabilizes the Penetrating and Conception vessels: for red and/or white vaginal discharge or uterine bleeding.
- Cools the blood and stops uterine bleeding: for excessive menstruation or uterine bleeding caused by chaotic movement of hot blood.
- Nouishes the blood and tonifies the Heart: for Heart deficiency with anxiety, insomnia, and forgetfulness.
- Also for nonhealing sores and ulcerations.