Category: Clear Heat and Dry DampTaste: Bitter Temperature:
Channels Entered: lung, stomach, large intestine
Actions and Indications:
- Clears heat and dries dampness: a major herb for damp heat in the stomach or intestines which manifests as diarrhea or dysenteric disorder; damp-warmth which presents with fever, stifling sensation in the chest, and thirst with inability to drink; or for damp heat in the lower burner with painful urinary dribbling. An auxiliary herb for damp-heat jaundice.
- Clear heat and resolves toxicity, especially in the upper burner: for heat patterns with high fever, irritability, thirst, cough, expectoration of thick, yellow sputum, or hot sores and swellings. Can be applied topically for the latter.
- Clears heat and stops bleeding: for internal heat from excess causing the blood to move chaotically. Symptoms include vomiting or coughing of blood, nosebleed, and blood in the stool.
- Clears heat and calms the fetus: pacifies the womb when the fetus is restless or kicking excessively due to heat.
- Sedates ascendant liver yang: for symptoms such as headache, irritability, red eyes, flushed face, and bitter taste.