Anchor, Settle, & Calm the SpiritTaste: Sweet, Astringent Flavor: Neutral Channels Entered: Heart, Liver, Kidney
- Calms with heaviness
- Binds with astringency (loss of fluids due to deficiency)
- Secures the normal qi
Cautions and Contraindications:
- Contraindicated in those with damp-heat or externally-contracted excess disorders.
Actions & Indications:
- Settles anxiety and calms the spirit: for emotional distress, restlessness, insomnia, palpitations with anxiety, or even seizures or withdrawal-mania (manic-depressive disorder) due to agitated Heart and spirit.
- Calms the Liver and anchors and preserves the floating yang: for irritability, restlessness, dizziness, vertigo, blurred vision, and bad temper due to Liver yin deficiency with deficient yang transgressing upward.
- Prevents leakage of fluids: for loss of fluids due to deficiency including spermatorrhea, nightsweats, spontaneous sweating, nocturnal emissions, vaginal discharge, and uterine bleeding.
- Used topically (calcined and powdered) for chronic, nonhealing sores and ulcers.