Anchor, Settle & Calm the SpiritTaste: Salty, Astringent Temperature: Cool Channels Entered: Liver, Kidney
Dosage: 9-30g; should be cooked first when used in decoctions.
- Secures deficiency leading to leakage and loss
- Softens masses or nodules due to constrained heat and phlegm
- Augments yin deficiency with floating yang leading to disorders in the channels of the Heart, Liver, and Kidneys
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Contraindicated in cases of high fever due to excess with an absence of sweating.
- Overdose may lead to indigestion or constipation.
Actions & Indications:
- Heavily settle and calms the spirit: for palpitations with anxiety, restlessness, and insomnia.
- Benefits the yin and anchors the floating yang: for irritability, insomnia, dizziness, headache, tinnitus, blurred vision, bad temper, or a red, flushed face due to yin deficiency with ascendant yang.
- Prevents leakage of fluids: for continuous sweating in patients with steaming bone disorder or in the aftermath of a warm-heat pathogen disease. Also used as an astringent for spontaneous sweating, nightsweats, nocturnal emissions, spermatorrhea or vaginal discharge, and uterine bleeding due to deficiency.
- Softens hardness and dissipates nodules: for various kinds of lumps. Particularly useful for lumps in the neck such as scrofula or goiter.
- Absorbs acidity and alleviates pain: used in calcined form for excessive Stomach pain with a sour taste in the mouth.