Botanical Name: Pharbitidis Semen
Category: Harsh ExpellantsTaste: bitter, acrid, toxic Temperature: Cold Channels Entered: Lung, Large Intestine, Small Intestine, Kidney
Dosage: 3-6g; crush before decocting
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Contraindicated during pregnancy. Use with caution in weak patients. Do not combine with Crotonis Fructus.
Actions & Indications:
- Drains water and promotes urination: for edema and ascites from stagnation of pathogenic water or dampness. This is an especially suitable herb as it expels water through both the urine and stool and can be used by itself for this purpose.
- Drives out phlegm and thin mucus: for cough, wheezing, and a sensation of fullness in the chest and abdomen due to thin mucus obstructing the Lungs.
- Unblocks the bowels and removes accumulation: for constipation due to accumulation and stagnation of damp-heat or food stagnation in the Stomach and Intestines. The dosage here is less than for the previous function.
- Expels intestinal parasites and reduces stagnation: for roundworm or tapework infestations and food stagnation.