Botanical Name: Crataegi Fructus
Category: Relieve Food Stagnation
Taste: Sour, Sweet
Temperature: Slightly Warm
Channels Entered: Liver, Spleen, Stomach
Cautions and Contraindications:
- Use with caution in those with weakness or deficiency of the Spleen and Stomach.
- Large doses are absolutely contraindicated during pregnancy.
Actions and Indications:
- Reduces food stagnation and transforms accumulation: for accumulation due to meat or greasy foods with abdominal distension, pain, or diarrhea.
- Transforms blood stasis and dissipates clumps: for postpartum abdominal pain and clumps due to blood stasis. Also for bulging disorders.
- Stops diarrhea: the partially charred herb is used for the diarrhea of chronic dysentery-like disorders.
- Also recently used for hypertension, coronary artery disease, and elevated serum cholesterol.