Botanical Name: Mume Fructus
Category: Stabilize & Bind
Taste: Sour, Astringent
Channels Entered: Large Intestine, Liver, Lung, Spleen
Key Characteristics: Preserves the Lungs, binds up the Intestine, stops bleeding, generates fluids, and quiets intestinal parasites.
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Contraindicated in cases of internal heat from excess and stagnation, or unresolved exterior disorders.
Actions & Indications:
- Inhibits the leakage of Lung qi and stops coughs: for chronic cough due to Lung deficiency.
- Generates fluids and alleviates thirst: for thirst due to heat from deficiency, or qi and yin deficiency. Often used for wasting and thirsting disorder due to heat from deficiency.
- Expels roundworms and alleviates pain: for roundworm induced vomiting and abdominal pain. Also occasionally used for abdominal pain and vomiting not associated with parasites.
- Binds the Intestines and stops diarrhea: for incessant chronic diarrhea or dysenteric disorders. Also used for blood in the stool. Can be used as a stand-alone herb (charred) for these purposes.
- Stops bleeding: for blood in the stool and excessive uterine bleeding accompanied by blood deficiency symptoms of dryness and thirst, together with a parched mouth. Can be taken as a stand-alone herb, usually in charred form and powdered, for bleeding from the vagina, anus, or urethra.
- Used topically as a plaster to treat corns and warts. After softening in hot water, the growth is removed and the plaster applied to the area and bound with gauze, which is changed every 24 hours.