Botanical Name: Curcumae Radix
Category: Invigorate the BloodTaste: Acrid, Bitter Temperature: Cold Channels Entered: Heart, Lung, Liver
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Use with caution during pregnancy.
Actions & Indications:
- Invigorates the blood and stops pain while promoting the movement of qi and resolving constraint: used topically and internally for pain related to traumatic injury and to hasten the healing process of chronic sores as well as such symptoms as chest, abdominal, flank, or menstrual pain from constrained Liver qi. Particularly useful for constrained Liver qi patterns with heat signs.
- Clears heat and cools the blood: for heat in the blood aspect causing chaotic movement of the blood leading to such problems as nosebleed, vomiting of blood, and blood in the urine. Especially useful for nosebleed at the onset of menstruation or instead of menstruation, known as inverted menses.
- Clears the Heart and opens the orifices: used when hot phlegm obstructs the Heart orifices with such symptoms as anxiety, agitation, seizures, or mental derangement. Although it is rather effective in clearing the Heart, its ability to open the orifices is weak.
- Benefits the Gallbladder and reduces jaundice: for gallbladder disorders and jaundice.