Botanical Name: Pinelliae Rhizoma Preparatum
Category: Warm & Transform Phlegm-Cold
Channels Entered: Lung, Spleen, Stomach
Cautions and Contraindications:
- This herb is toxic. Only the prepared form should ever be consumed.
- Should be used with caution, if at all, in patients with dry cough from yin deficiency.
Actions and Indications:
- Dries dampness, transforms phlegm, and causes rebellious qi to descend: for cough with copious sputum, as in cold-phlegm in the Lungs. Especially effective for transforming phlegm due to dampness of the Spleen.
- Directs rebellious qi downward and stops vomiting: for nausea and vomiting due to many causes including cold, thin mucus, Stomach deficiency, Stomach heat, or pregnancy.
- Dissipates nodules and reduces clumps: for nodules, pressure, distension, or pain due to phlegm lingering in the chest, phlegm nodules in the neck (such as goiter and scrofula), or obstruction caused by phlegm anywhere in the body. Also for focal distention in the chest and epigastrum.