Category: Herbs that Drain FireTaste: Bitter, Sweet Temperature: Cold Channels entered: Lung, Stomach, Kidney
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Contraindicated in cases of cold from deficiency of the Spleen and Stomach, or diarrhea.
Actions & Indications:
- Clears heat and drains fire: for high fever, irritability, thirst, and a rapid, flooding pulse in patterns of heat from excess in the Lungs and Stomach. Also for cough due to heat in the Lungs with expectoration of thick, yellow sputum.
- Enriches yin and moistens dryness: for exhaustion or deficiency of Lung and Kidney yin with such heat signs as night sweats, steaming bone disorder, irritability, afternoon or low-grade fevers, heat in the five centers, and bleeding gums. Also for Kidney heat signs as spermatorrhea, nocturnal emissions, and abnormally high sex drive.
- Generates fluids and clears heat: for oral ulcers and inflammation due to yin deficiency, and for wasting and thirsting disorder.
- Ameliorates the dryness of tonifying or warming substances: for circumstances when tonifying or warming herbs are used, but there is concern that they not be too drying.