Botanical Name: Eucommiae Cortex
Category: Tonify the Yang
Taste: Sweet, Slightly Acrid
Channels Entered: Kidney, Liver
Key Characteristics: Tonifies the Liver and Kidneys, strengthens the sinews and bones, and quiets the fetus.
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Contraindicated in those with heat from deficiency
Actions & Indications:
- Tonifies the Liver and Kidneys, strengthens the sinews and bones: for Liver and Kidney deficiency with such symptoms as weak, sore, or painful lower back and knees, fatigue, and urinary frequency.
- Aids in the smooth flow of qi and blood: used to promote circulation, especially in those with weakness of the sinews and bones.
- Calms the fetus: for patterns of cold from deficiency of the Kidneys with bleeding during pregnancy. Also used to prevent miscarriage when the fetus is restless or agitated, and when a pregnant woman has significant back pain or presents with a deficient condition.
- Recently used for dizziness and lightheadedness (hypertension) from rising Liver yang.