Botanical Name: Sanguisorbae Radix
Category: Stop Bleeding
Taste: Sour, Bitter
Temperature: Slightly Cold
Channels Entered: Large Intestine, Stomach, Liver
- Cools heat in the blood
- Stops bleeding (lower Jiao)
- Resolves toxicity
- Restrains and inhibits hot blood
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Should be used with caution in those with cold from xu or blood stasis.
Actions & Indications:
- Cools the blood and stops bleeding: especially for bleeding in the lower burner due to damp-heat with such symptoms as blood in the stool, bleeding hemorrhoids, bloody dysenteric disorders, and excessive uterine bleeding. Also used for vomiting blood and nosebleed.
- Clears heat and generates flesh: applied topically for sores, ulcers, and injuries from burns. It both reduces the oozing by holding in the fluids, and promotes the generation of new flesh.