Botanical Name: Poriae
Category: Drain DampnessTaste: Sweet, Bland Temperature: Neutral Channel Entered: Kidney, Spleen, Lung, Heart
Cautions and Contraindications:
- Use caution in those with yin deficiency, sunken spleen qi, or cold from deficiency with spermatorrhea.
Actions and Indications:
- Promotes urination and leaches out dampness: Used to treat symptoms such as urinary difficulty, diarrhea, edema due to stagnation of the fluids or dampness, and scanty urine from damp-heat.
- Strengthens the spleen and harmonizes the middle jiao: In cases of spleen deficiency compounded by damp with symptoms such as loss of appetite, diarrhea, and epigastric distention.
- Strengthens the spleen and transforms phlegm: Treats spleen deficiency with thin mucus in which phlegm is ascending to the chest and head causing palpitations, thick greasy tongue coat, dizziness, headache, and possibly extreme depression.
- ?Quiets the heart and calms the spirit: Indications include palpitations, insomnia, and forgetfulness from heart spleen dual vacuity or internal obstruction of turbid phlegm.