Botanical Name: Schisandrae Fructus
Category: Stabilize & Bind
Taste: Sour, Sweet
Channels Entered: Heart, Kidney, Lung
Key Characteristics: Contains leakage of Lung qi, grasps the qi, enriches the Kidneys, stops diarrhea, nourishes the Liver, quiets the spirit, and generates fluids.
Cautions & Contraindications:
- Contraindicated where an exterior disorder has not been cleared, or there is heat from excess in the interior, or in the early stages of a cough or rash.
- This herb may occasionally cause heartburn.
Actions & Indications:
- Contains the leakage of Lung qi and stops coughs: for chronic cough and wheezing due to Lung deficiency, or patterns of Lung and Kidney deficiency. It inhibits the leakage of Lung qi above, enriches the Kidney yin below, and stops coughs. It is thus an important and effective herb for treating chronic coughs.
- Tonifies the Kidneys, binds up the essence, and stops diarrhea: for nocturnal emissions, spermatorrhea, vaginal discharge, and urinary frequency due to Kidney deficiency. Also used for daybreak diarrhea associated with Spleen and Kidney deficiency.
- Inhibits sweating and generates fluids: for excessive sweating, especially when accompanied by thirst or a dry throat. With other appropriate herbs, it is variously used for spontaneous sweating, nightsweats, or even wasting and thirsting disorder.
- Quiets the spirit while calming and containing the Heart qi: for irritability, palpitations, dream-disturbed sleep, and insomnia due to injury to the blood and yin of the Heart and Kidneys or lack of communication between these two organs. Nowadays commonly used for various types of insomnia.